TOBE : IS AM ARE
+ I am (I’m)
– I am not
He/She/It not (isn’t)
You/We/They are not (aren’t)
? Am I
1. Questions with to be
A. We put the form of the verb to be at the beginning :
Am I early?
Is he a manager?
Are you a marketing officer?
B. We do not use the short form of the verb in answer
Are you a teacher? Yes, I am (NOT yes, I’m)
Is she married? Yes, she is (NOT yes, she’s)
C. With Wh-questions :
Who ‘s your boss? Are they? Where ‘s She from? Are The files?
A. The indefinite article a/an
a. We use a before words beginning with consonant sound :
A city a European a problem a university
b. We use an before words beginning with a vowel sound :
An address an hour an interest
c. We use a/an with job titles :
He is an accountant
She is a manager
d. We use a/an before unspecified singular countable nouns :
She works in an office
B. The definite article : the
– We use the when it is clear from the context what particular thing or place is meant :
I’ll meet you in the reception area
– We use the before a noun that we have mentioned before :
She works in a consumer goods company. She has worked for the company since 1999
C. Zero article :
– We do not put an article before mass used in general statement; () Money is the root of all evil
– There is no article before the names of the places and the people.
3. PRESENT SIMPLE WITH WH-QUESTIONS
Questions word Do or does Subject Verb phrase What Do you do? Does he/she When Do I go? Does the rain leave? Where Do they come from? Does Malika Why Do we want a new printer? Does he/she How Do they work? Does It How often Do they travel abroad? Does she/he
Sumber : Hand Out English Professional I Stie PGRI DEWANTARA JOMBANG by Ida Setyawati, S.Pd, M.Pd